Picture Source: Sotiris Danezis on Facebook
In complete contrast to their significance, Greece's General Elections on Sunday May 6 will be remembered for their very low-key-for-fear-of-flying-yoghurts election campaigning compared to the crowd-rousing, square-filling, flag waving, slogan chanting and demagoguery of all the previous years.
Anyone who has lived through election campaigns in Athens in the 80's and 90's know what we're talking about.
Anyone who has ever heard PASOK Founder Andreas Papandreou address and rouse the crowds will know the feeling... there's nothing anywhere near that in these elections. PASOK leader Evangelos Venizelos was to address the crowds in Syntagma this evening, but you could hardly tell...
An unprecedentented number of 32 parties, coalitions and individual candidates will be asking for our vote at Sunday's General Election, made up of 5 main parties and many splinter groups which branched out from the two main parties after crossing party lines in the memorandum votes.
The parties and their leaders (with links to the party's website or Wikipedia entry) that will contest the election are:
- Panhellenic Socialist Movement (Pasok), Evangelos Venizelos
- New Democracy (ND), Antonis Samaras
- Communist Party of Greece (KKE), Aleka Papariga
- Radical Left Coalition–Unitary Social Movement (Syriza), Alexis Tspiras
- Popular Orthodox Rally (Laos), Yiorgos Karatzaferis
- Democratic Alliance, (Dimokratiki Symmahia) Dora Bakoyannis
- Social Pact, (Koinoniki Symfonia) Louka Katseli
- Independent Greeks, (Anexartitoi Ellines) Panos Kammenos
- Democratic Left, (Dimokratiki Aristera) Fotis Kouvelis
- Drasi [Action]–Liberal Alliance, Stefanos Manos and Grigoris Vallianatos
- Ecologists–Greens (Ecogreens Oikologoi Prasinoi), six-member committee
- Union of Centrists, (Enosi Kentrou) Vassilis Leventis
- Liberal Party, K. Kaligiannis
- Popular Union–Golden Dawn (Chrysi Avgi), Nikolaos Michaloliakos
- Dimosthenis Vergis–Greek Ecologists, Dimosthenis Vergis
- Ochi [Democratic Revival and United Popular Front (Epam)], Stelios Papathemelis a
- "Can’t Pay, Won’t Pay" Movement, (Den Plirono) Vasilis Papadopoulos
- National Resistance Movement (KEAN), Ippokratis Savvouras
- Communist Party of Greece (Marxist-Leninist)–Marxist-Leninist Communist Party of Greece (KKE (m-l)–ML KKE), four-member committee
- Anticapitalist Left Cooperation for the Overthrow (Antarsia), 21-member ctte
- Organisation of Communist Internationalists of Greece (OKDE), 3-member ctte
- Workers Revolutionary Party (EEK Trokskyists), Sabetai Matsas
- Organisation for the Reconstruction of the Communist Party of Greece (OAKKE),
Unity Association (SEE), N. Alikakos
- Koinonia [Society: Political Party of the Successors of Kapodistria], Michail Iliadis
- Pirate Party of Greece, I. Papagoupous
- Dimiourgia Xana (Recreate Greece), Thanos Tzimeros
- Panathinaikos Movement (Panki), Yiorgos Betsikas
- Axioprepeia [Dignity] (Alliance of independent candidates), Panayiotis Theodoropoulos
- Renewing Independent Left, Renewing Right, Renewing Pasok, Renewing New Democracy, No to War, Party of Action I Give Away Land, I Give Away Debts, Save Lives, Panagrarian Labour Movement of Greece (Paeke) Miltiadis Tzalazidis
- Regional Urban Development (PAA), Nikos Kolitsis (sole candidate)
- Athanasios Daskalopoulos (Independent)
Check out the links above from the Athens News , read up on the candidates and then go vote, but above all, remember to....
... For Greece's sake and ours!